Biking Trip Advise wanted for the Fall

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

hanigan

Biking Trip Advise wanted for the Fall

Thu Jul 27, 2000 9:44 am

Good evening. My wife and I and two other couple are interested in<BR>spending a weekend in Vermont early this fall. Our plan is to drive up<BR>to a bed and breakfast on Friday night. Take a 30 mile bike tour on<BR>Saturday with beautiful scenery (timed so we can enjoy the fall foliage)<BR>stopping<BR>in the late afternoon at another bed and breakfast for a nice dinner, some<BR>good wine and a relaxing evening of board game playing. On Sunday<BR>morning we'd like to take a shorter tour of 15 to 20 miles preferably<BR>around a<BR>lake or other body of water. Some of us have hydrids and some mountain<BR>bikes<BR>so scenic trails would be our preference. If we have to venture out on the<BR>roads I'd prefer that they have minimal car traffic for our safety. We <BR>would then like to have some sort of transport bring us back to where our<BR>cars are. <P>We are open to changes in this hypothetical itinerary depending on what<BR>ideas you have for us. Please e-mail me with any suggestions or ideas you<BR>might have as well as your best guess of ideal weekends for foliage. <BR>Alternately you can phone us at 908-284-2034. Thanks in advance for your<BR>help.

svmoderator

Re: Biking Trip Advise wanted for the Fall

Thu Aug 03, 2000 4:37 am

Dear jrhanigan,Sounds like a great trip-plan! May we join you? Just kidding! Here's our suggestion we think will meet your needs:Begin at the Quechee Inn at Marshland Farm. Their tollfree number is 1-800-235-3133. Look for them on the web at <A HREF="http://www.quecheeinn.com" TARGET=_blank>www.quecheeinn.com</A> also. Quechee Inn overlooks the Ottauquechee River, and the bike ride to Woodstock follows along the river on a lovely paved and unpaved road on the opposite side of the river from Rte. 4. While you're in Quechee, you can try some cross-country/mountain bike trails with Wilderness Trails who offers bike rentals, maps and local knowledge, run by Marty Banak and located right on the grounds of the Quechee Inn. His number: 802-295-7620, and they're on the Quechee web site at <A HREF="http://www.quechee.com." TARGET=_blank>www.quechee.com.</A> If you start out at Quechee Inn, you can probably arrange for Marty's portage service to pick you up and bring you back if you bike to Woodstock and stay somewhere there for your other inn. For your next night, try the Woodstock Inn Resort 1-800-448-7900, and you can look them up on the web at <A HREF="http://www.woodstockvt.com," TARGET=_blank>www.woodstockvt.com,</A> as well as looking for other inns on that site. On Sunday, your bike ride around Silver Lake in Barnard will take you out of Woodstock to Silver Lake, about the 20-mile distance you asked for.Sounds like a plan, I'd get going on making reservations now, if you want to do this during foliage. Have fun, enjoy! Let us know if we can be of further help.svmoderator