Vermont Trip: sept 22-24

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

tcor13

Vermont Trip: sept 22-24

Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:20 pm

I'm headed to my brother's place in Williamstown, VT this Sunday. yes, I know I'm early, but this is the only time my schedule will allow. You would think my brother would be able to tell me where to go for early color, but he has been only somewhat helpful. I'm an amateur photographer, so I'm looking for the best early color. My bro tells me northeast kingdom. any thoughts? if possible, be specific, i.e. roads, towns...THANKS!

pwt54

Re: Vermont Trip: sept 22-24

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:48 am

The Northeast Kingdom is still a bit early but there are some "firecrackers" scattered around. You should go to Lake Willoughby even without the colors. Route 12 between Worcester and Elmore is showing some good early color and is getting better each day. Route 100 from Moretown south to Hancock and some of the side roads are showing some color also.

Kerry Gough

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:34 pm

I doubt that the fall colors are going to be heavy at all, but I am going to suggest a route you can take from Williamstown that would be a nice drive for someone interested in taking pretty photographs. In fact, the early splotches of color might be just perfect for some early fall shots.<P>From Williamstown, take Rt. 64 to Rt. 12. Turn right towards the "Northfields". In about one mile, Rt. 12A will be a turn to the left. (Drive first on to Northfield Center and Northfield Falls, where the three covered bridges are. It is the only place you can stand in one covered bridge and see two more on down the road.)<P>Come back down towards Rt. 12A. You may want to drive on to the campus of Norwich University, a beautiful little school and the founding place of ROTC. Continue to 12A and turn right to Roxbury, about six to seven miles. At Roxbury, take Roxbury Gap Road to the right, the road to East Warren and Warren.<P>When you reach the top of the climb, and start downhill, watch for a small area where you can pull to the side of the road and look down on Sugarbush Valley and over towards the Sugarbush Ski Mountains. A beautiful view! Continue on down until you come to East Warren Road. Turn to the right as this is a beautiful drive for about 6 miles, to the village of Waitsfield. You are there when you go through the covered bridge. <P>About two miles before you reach the covered bridge, you will pass the Inn at the Round Barn Farm, a Bed and Breakfast. You may want to stop and take some pictures there as it is quite a spot. If the Barn is open, it is interesting to see. (Tell them I suggested that you stop and say "hello". I'll stay there a week or so later.)<P>At Waitsfield, turn left (south) on Rt. 100 and go about three miles. You may want to turn right and up to the Sugarbush Resort where early color could be showing. Come back to Rt. 100 and, in two miles, turn left to Warren. A neat stopping place. I recommend the Warren Store for cider, snacks or sweets. A great place to relax and sit outside by the brook below and enjoy nature at its best!<P>Continue through Warren, a very short distance by a covered bridge, and turn left to continue on Rt. 100 south. Go to Hancock and Rt. 125 west. Turn right and go about four miles to Texas Falls, on the right. May be pretty up in that area. There is parking on up the road to the right and it is a nice place to walk around and see the falls and the forrest.<P>Return to Rt. 100 south and go five miles to Rochester. Turn left on Rochester Mountain Road and go ten miles to Rt. 12. Should be a nice drive through this area. At Rt. 12, turn left and go through Randolph and East Braintree until you get to Rt. 65 east. Turn right and this will take you to Brookfield where the famous floating bridge is. It is interesting to see and photograph - and to ride across! One of a kind.<P>Continue on Rt. 65 to East Brookfield and Rt. 14 where you can turn left and it will take you back to Williamstown where you started. An alternate drive from Brookfield is to turn left after crossing the bridge. Continue straight on that road, or turn right in about a mile. Either road will take you back to Rt. 64 where you can turn right back to Williamstown.<P>This would be a very nice drive if you do not wish to travel all the way to the Northeast Kingdom. Enjoy which ever way you go!<P>

tcor13

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:45 pm

Wow Thank you pwt and Kerry for your replies! Thanks for the detail and time spent. My lunkhead brother is still not giving me much of anything despite the fact that he drives VT roads for a living. So I will print these out and use them on my trip! I had read him the reply about worcester and elmore and he mentioned it is a bit colder there, so the leaves turn earlier. Most likely, I will bite the bullet and return in 2 weeks when it's peaking. Please, no rain...

tcor13

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:46 pm

Wow Thank you pwt and Kerry for your replies! Thanks for the detail and time spent. My lunkhead brother is still not giving me much of anything despite the fact that he drives VT roads for a living. So I will print these out and use them on my trip! I had read him the reply about worcester and elmore and he mentioned it is a bit colder there, so the leaves turn earlier. Most likely, I will bite the bullet and return in 2 weeks when it's peaking. Please, no rain...

Kerry Gough

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:51 pm

Let me make another suggestion. Add this to what I have already given you. This could be an alternate extension to your drive if you have the time.<P>When you leave Texas Falls, turn right on Rt. 125 and go to East Middlebury and Rt. 7. Turn south to Rt. 53 and then turn left. Continue on Rt. 53 to Forest Dale and Rt. 73. Turn left on Rt. 73 to Rt. 100. Turn left on Rt. 100 for one mile to Rochester Mountain Road, to the right, that I previously mentioned.<P>This will take you across both the Middlebury Gap and the Brandon Gap. The elevations here are through the Green Mountains so you very well may see some pretty early color. You may also be interested in places pertaining to Robert Frost and may want to stop at the Bread Loaf campus.<P>This entire drive, from Williamstown and back, will really give you a picture of Vermont that you will not forget.

tcor13

Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:25 pm

I can't thank you enough for your help and the addition to the trip outline! I'm definitely looking forward to taking in the sights you described...and it will be great to dust the cameras off and shoot. Take care.

pwt54

Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:48 pm

There is one more covered bridge in Northfield Falls. Look for the Slaughterhouse Road about 1/3 of a mile south of the Falls General Store. It's a nice one. The other areas that were mnention are great even with out great color.

Kerry Gough

Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:52 pm

I hope you do get to try the route of some that I passed on to you. I will keep my fingers crossed that you see some good early color.<P>Be sure and give me a report when you get back. I am not leaving for New England until Oct 2, so any information you can pass on to me about the colors would be good to know. I will be staying in Woodstock and Waitsfield, VT, Friday through Monday and always look forward to it. I will be on most of the route I gave to you.<P><BR>Thanks!

sharan

Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:34 pm

Kerry,<BR>You have given us some great info on this forum. Thank you so much for all the details. I had decided against dirt roads until you assured me that they would be fine. Can you explain the floating bridge to me. Do you actually drive across it? <BR>I don't think I can even begin to comprehend how beautiful Vermont will be. But it won't be long now til I can see for myself--I think we will probably be there at the same time! I'm glad you mentioned Texas Falls. I have it on our itinerary but don't really know anything about it. Thanks again!

Kerry Gough

Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:59 pm

To Sharan:<P>Thanks for you kind and thoughtful comments. I am glad to have this avenue to help others enjoy Vermont as I have enjoyed it through the years. Just about every year, friends go to Vermont with us, for their first trip, and that always makes the visit to such a special place to be an extra special trip.<P>The floating bridge! Yes. You do drive across it, and it is sort of a strange feeling, and certainly different. If it might make you feel better about the drive, it just reopended within the last year or so as it had been closed for needed restoration. So it should be very safe now.<P>I was raised in Vicksburg, MS, and we had the only bridge there, when I was a child, where the water flowed over the bridge rather than under it. I have about seen it all pertaining to bridges, and I do not even like being on or under water! <P>If I can give you any other information that you think might be helpful to you, let me know. I leave next Wednesday but have some time before that departure date.<P>Enjoy your trip!<BR>

tcor13

Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:24 pm

Ok here's my followup to my original question--I returned yesterday from my trip and hope to go back in 2 weeks!<P>I followed Kerry's trip itinerary and had a GREAT time. I really only had one full day to drive around, but I was able to see nearly everything described. Yes, as expected, I was early. Most of the landscape was green, with maybe 10-20% starting to turn gold, orange. I did not make it to worcester or elmore, so I can't comment on that. Probably the best color was at Sugarbush. But the directions were GREAT, with only a few very minor changes:<P>Roxbury Gap Road has another name--I don't remember, but there is a sign that says Warren, (to anyone following these directions) just turn there...<P>There are more falls which are worth stopping at...I think the name was Moss Glenn Falls on Rt 100 near Granville. There was a man selling maple syrup there, so look for him. These falls are small compared to Texas Falls, but still a nice place to stop and relax. Could be a nice long exposure photo on an overcast day!<P>THE WARREN STORE MAKES AWESOME SUBS! I recommend the Warren Store Chicken on wheat. yummy.<P>Rochester Mountain Road has another name: Bethel Mountain Road (at the mobil) 1 and 1/2 miles up, the road will split, with Bethel Mountain road going to the right--follow that to 12.<P>Ok that's basically it. If anyone has any specific questions about areas, I'm happy to answer them.<P>I've been camping in Vermont in Groton State Forest maybe half a dozen times, but this trip showed me more reasons why I love Vermont. now if I could only learn to ski...<P>I only have one suggestion of my own. Owl's Head in Groton State Forest offers a beautiful sunset! Yes I'm biased, and there are most certainly better. For pics of Owl's head and info on how to get there email me. take care and have fun everyone!

Kerry Gough

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:24 pm

Thanks for sharing the information about your trip. I am glad it worked well for you and I appreciate the name and direction items that I have made notes about. When you have been on those routes quite a few times, you do not always have the right names but generic names to identify your travel routes.<P>I am glad you got to experience the Warren Store. That is a fun spot and their subs,sandwiches, plates, chowder, cookies and pastries are all delicious. We sat on the deck three years ago one afternoon and had NE clam chowder, hot apple cider and apple pie - and it was snowing on us the whole time. What a setting and fun!<P>According to your good information, and the up-to-date foliage report, your next trip should bring you much more color. I hope it does. But, it is even beautiful with the greens and a little bit of color, isn't it?<P>Let us know how your second trip goes, too. Stay excited and enjoy the opportunity!

pwt54

Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:44 am

Too bad you missed Worcester, it has the best color right now. In 2 weeks the color should be best below here. I like doing Rt 100 down to Rt 11 in Londonderry and then Rt 11 to Chester. Then take Rt 35 south to Grafton. After checking out the village I take the Townshend road south a mile to the Grafton Cheese Factory for a tour a free cheese. Finish the Townshend road to Rt 35 and turn right and go to Rt 30 in Townshend.<BR>From there take your pick. If you don't mind a dirt road there's a good one in Granville of Rt 100. Just behind th Blue Moose Corners craft center ther is the West Hill Road. Take that to the first "Y" and turn left and wander around all the roads and side roads. These are National Forest Roads.