northeast kingdom

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

iga

northeast kingdom

Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:38 pm

I will be staying in the Lake Willoughby area for 2 days in the beginning of Oct.I would appreciate some ideas on scenic drives & areas or towns that shouldn't be missed.

dkramer

Re: northeast kingdom

Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:31 am

One 65-70 mile trip that I have found enjoyable is the Island Pond loop. This far northeast corner of the state is the least populated and most pristine. There are very few roads here, and almost no towns to speak of. Since there is really only one route around, I probably don't even have to spell it out for you. 114 up to Norton, then east through Averill to Canaan (the corner of NH, VT, and Canada), then south, and then back west to Island Pond. Others on this board may have more/better suggestions for longer trips.<P>Daniel

admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:41 am

Daniel:<BR>On the route you just suggested can you think of some areas that would make good photo QTVR panoramas? This technology requires not landscape scenes but close in shots with something attractive/interesting close by in almost every quadrant of the 360. One possibility is a stream full of color.<P>Tim

pwt54

Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:09 pm

Oh man, what an area !! You could take the Hinton Hill Road right over to Rt. 114 just south of Island Pond. Take Rt. 114 (Moose Alley) south to Lyndonville. Take US5 north to West Burke and Rt. 5A back to Willoughby.<BR>Also. If you go about a mile south of the lake, you'll see a pull-off on the right the hikers use. There is a dirt road going by the pull-off. Take that about a mile to another pull-off. You can look right up the Lake with a great view of the cliffs of Mt. Piscah. <BR>

dkramer

Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:31 pm

Tim--<P>To anwer your question about the QTVR stuff...I know what you're looking for. I am not too sure myself. I know there is a lake near Norton off to the west of 114, but I have not gone over there to take a look. Though it is rather scenic (landscape-y), another spot might be near Wallace Pond along the Canadian border. The view across the Pond is really nice, and I think there may be enough interesting stuff on the south side of the road to suffice. But, I'm just pulling for things...I'm not really sure. There are a couple of ideas, anyway.<P>Daniel