Foliage tour near Peacham area

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

dire

Foliage tour near Peacham area

Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:55 pm

I am trvelling to St.Johnsbury-->Danville-->Harvey-->South Danville-- >Peacham-->South Peacham-->East Corinth-->Waits River-->East ornage -- >Barre(probably) and back to St. Johnsbury in Vermont. I will be going around October 4th, 2002. <P>If anyone has travelled to these areas, can you please provide me info about some high vantagepoints to shoot these beautiful villages? And please suggest good some photo locations for calendar like shots and also the best time to shoot them in a day. I am planning to get the Vermont Atlas and Gazetteer. But, I have never been there and so, need some helpful info about locations for shoots and how to get there. <P><BR>Any suggestions and internet resource will be extremely helpful. <P><BR>Thanks a bunch. <P><BR>dire <BR>
Go where your heart awaits thee!

pwt54

Re: Foliage tour near Peacham area

Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:30 am

Groton State Forest is in that same area. Good color and lots of white birch trees. The trees are young and short so you don't have to strain your neck. Boulder Beach is a favorite area of mine. Also do Owl's Head Mountain. You can drive up within 0.2 of a mile . Great views.<BR>In Barre do the Trow Hill area. That is Hill Street and Windy Wood Road to Plainfield. You may want to check out the Hope Cemetery on Rt. 14 north of the city. We're talking sculpture, not just headstones. South of Barre Routes 110-14-12 and the roads going between will be good. Also Rt. 65 in Brookfield goes over the Floating Brige.<BR>In the Danville-Peacham-Corinth area, I can't really pick out any one spot. It's all great. Just go anywhere. In St. Johnsbury I like to take the Mount Pleasant Street ride to North Danville. Just north in Lyndonville take the Wheelock/Stannard Mtn. Road to Greensboro. You should also do the area around Lake Willoughby.

alpark@kanza.net

Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:24 pm

Perhaps you might get "How To Find (and photograph) the Photo-Scenics in Vermont" by Arnold J. Kaplan, APDS-AFIAP. This information may out-datged but I think it will give you a start. This is speculation on my part since this fall will be my first trip to Vermont and will be using this quide. Good Luck!<BR>Al<P>------------------<BR>Al
Al

Kerry Gough

Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:14 pm

Peacham is one of the prettiest areas of Vermont. When you get there, stop at the Peacham Store and look for a hand draw map by the Peacham Corner Guild. It has about 25 spots marked on the map where you get an outstanding view. It is a great little map!<P>Even though you can follow printed guides, and suggestions of even folks like me, I feel that the best view, and the beauty of it, is really in the eye of the beholder. What you might read or hear about can certainly be helpful, but don't rush going to see just what others may have recommended.<P>Just go around the next curve, up the next hill, down into the next valley or circle the Village Green of the next hamlet, and you may experience a view or gaze on a scene that is unlike what anyone else ever saw when they looked at that same spot. The time of day, light conditions, weather pattern and foliage colors might make it more special for you than it has for anyone else! <P>That is the beauty and fascination of Vermont! Later, you will enjoy your prints, slides, video tapes or discs more because they will be YOUR Vermont images as YOU saw them. Nothing will make them more special during the days of remembrance you will most certainly have about your travels during the fall in beautiful Vermont.<P>Best wishes for enjoyment of your trip and the reflections that will follow!