Photography

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

chp

Photography

Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:13 pm

Hi,<BR>I'm looking for any recommendations on places to photograph. I'm planning a trip this fall and haven't been to Vermont before. Rivers, lakes, mountains or any other type of spot. Thanks.<P>Corey

admin
Site Admin

Re: Photography

Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:07 pm

Gosh! this is a hard questions to answer...there are so many places! You really have to discover this yourself by touring the backroads and paying attention to the weather. Having said this, I would try to photograph the following:<P>1. The Quechee Gorge<BR>2. CP rail lines in the Northeast Kingdom<BR>3. Willoughby, Seymour and Caspian Lakes<BR>4. Back roads around Craftsbury<BR>5. Hazen's Notch (near Jay Peak)<BR>6. Various points along Route 100<P>This list doesn't even begin to touch the myriad of places! Perhaps others will add to this this! Image<P>------------------<BR> Timothy Palmer-Benson [Mail:tim@pbpub.com]<BR> ** Web Publishing for Vermont **<BR> *** <A HREF="http://www.pbpublishing.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.scenesofvermont.com</A> ***<BR>**** Tel:802-895-4295, Fax:802-895-4635****<BR> *****Box 219, Morgan VT 05853*****<BR>___________________________________

pwt54

Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:24 pm

Great choices, Tim. You may also want to routes 108, 109,118 from Stowe to Montgomery for covered bridges and scenery. Also routes 12 south from Montpelier to route 65 in Brookfield for more covered bridges. Then take route 65 east to Brookfield for the Floating Bridge. (don't splash the fishermen). Finish route 65 to route 14. Head south to route 110 and route 110 north for more bridges and views.<BR>

Kerry Gough

Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:56 pm

I have been coming to Vermont during the first part of October for 15 years. The best places for photography are what YOU see that appeals to YOU. I have hundreds of slides and most of them are scenes that unexpectedly appeared but were exceptional to me. Look for scenes like that first and then go to the spots that everyone else photographs.<P>You have been given some good suggestions already for tavel routes. Roxbury Gap, between Roxbury and Warren is a super drive. Be sure and stop at the top and look back to the west. Can be breathtaking, depending on the weather and the time of the day. By the way, that is not too far from Brookfield and the floating bridge. <P>About 8 or 9 miles south of Woodstock, on Rt. 106, look for the Jenne Farm road, a right turn going south, and you will see a beautiful farm scene - and probably several photographers. Plus, it is a great story of how that scene became so well known. Another spot that has many beautiful vistas is the Peacham area and its surroundings. Pick up one of the hand drawn maps done by the Peacham Corner Guild and it guides you to some great spots. (Usually see the maps at the Peacham Store. Get some of their delicious cookies whle you are in there, too. Delicious!)<P>Hope you enjoy your photography experience as much as I do.<P>One suggestion - when you see an inviting packed dirt road, do not be afraid to take it. You will get pictures that no one else will have and it gives you a good feeling to see that backroad beauty of Vermont. I have taken many of them and have not got lost yet!<P>------------------<BR>

chp

Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:50 pm

Thanks for the info! All the specifics will do well to get me started on my wanderings!

pwt54

Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:56 am

The Jenne Farm Road might be a little tricky to find for a new traveler. Take rt.106 south from Woodstock. Look for the South Woodstock Country Store on your right. The Jenne Road. The Jenne Farm road is 2.9 mile south of the store and on the right side half way down a long hill. It's also about 1.3 miles south of the Kedron Valley Veterinary Clinic. I've also had good luck in the Groton State Forest.