Roads in Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

sharan

Roads in Vermont

Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:25 am

Can anyone tell me about the road leading from Warren to Roxbury that is called Brook Road? And also Crosstown Road that connects Highway 12 and 89. Are these roads in good condition and suitable for driving?

dkramer

Re: Roads in Vermont

Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:04 pm

Brook Road starts in Warren Village, and after a couple of miles turns left at a Y in the intersection. If you go right, that is Plunkton Road, which goes by Blueberry Lake and eventually gets back to Rte. 100 near Granville Gulf (Plunkton is a dirt road in moderately good condition). If you continue to the left at the Y, this becomes East Warren Road. The next right (I'm pretty sure) occurs at a 4-way intersection. Left is Airport Road, but right is the Roxbury Mountain Road. This road goes over the Roxbury Gap. As gaps in VT go, this is average in difficulty. Near the crest, look back for a phenomenal view of the Mad River Valley with the Green Mountains directly in front of you. Easy to spot are Sugarbush, Mt. Ellen, Mad River Glen, and the Appalachian Gap. Continuing on the Roxbury Mountain Road will take you into Roxbury in a few more miles. The Roxbury Mountain Road alternates between pavement and dirt and is in very good condition. The descent into Roxbury is nearly all dirt, but again, it is in pretty good condition (I think it is a bit better on the Warren side--but not bad at all on the Roxbury side). I do not know the Crosstown Road.<P>Daniel

pwt54

Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:45 pm

She might mean Rt.64 toward Williamstown and I-89. I would, however, go south to Rt.65 and take that road over the Brookfield Floating Bridge and then to Rt. 14.

sharan

Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:49 pm

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am really looking for a way to get from Rt 100 near the Warren/Waitsfield area to Northfield Falls on Rt. 12. I prefer not to drive the road I inquired about if it is not paved all the way. As for Crosstown road, it is farther north than 64. It looks like it cuts across just north of Northfield Falls to near Berlin Corners. I am using a Streets and Maps program and that is why I am not sure about the condition of these roads. I will consider your suggestion to go south toward the floating bridge but I still need help getting from 100 to Rt. 12. Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated!

dkramer

Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:51 am

Well, one way to do that is to take 100 North out of the Mad River Valley via 100B through Moretown. If you take 100B to the end, make a right onto Rte. 2 East towards Montpelier. Follow signs for 2 East (not 2 Business unless you want to stop in Montpelier). This should be a right and then a left (2 traffic lights--all of this is about 6-7 miles from the turn onto 2). Not far from there (1/2 mile or so) will be right turn onto 12 South. You are 10 miles from Northfield at that point. All told, that is probably a 30-40 mile drive. Very pretty too. I know it's probably not the fastest way to go, but all of those roads are paved and driving is easier. Take care.<P>Daniel

pwt54

Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:15 am

DKramer is right about those roads. They are either part dirt or all dirt. If you have any questions, when you take 100B and US2 in to Montpelier, instead of turning right at the first traffic light go straight and stop at the 4th building on the right. That is our welcome center. We can answer any questions you have.

dkramer

Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:12 pm

Hey pwt,<P>Are you one of the people who works at the Montpelier Welcome Center? You guys really do great work over there. Nice place and great people.

pwt54

Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:11 am

Yeah, I do. Thanks. From the calls, letters and message board we've seen, this is going to be a big foliage season.

Kerry Gough

Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:12 pm

Let me give you some assurance about the Roxbury Gap road. It runs from East Warren Road over to Rt. 12A and Roxbury. You just take a left, go about 6 miles to Rt. 12, turn left and you are in the Northfield area. Though pavement and dirt, it is a great road. I have taken it each year for years and it has never been a problem, even in an early fall snow.<P>I have also taken the road from Moretown that turns right off of Rt. 100B. It is about 9 miles long, mostly unpaved, and leads right into Northfield Falls and Rt. 12. A beautiful drive and brings you in right at three covered bridges.<P>Taking roads such as these is seeing the real Vermont!