Bad Info

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

irishes

Bad Info

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:30 am

I have waited for years to be able to get to the New England states to see the leaves changing. I am from Arizona so I thought the best way to find out about the time table would be to go to foliagenetwork.com After reviewing the archives from the past few years I felt the best time for viewing would be mid October. Now that I've found this forum it seems my trip to Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut could be a waste. We are arriving on October 20 and staying for one week. Does anyone have any suggestions for foliage viewing. From reading this forum it's looking pretty grim. I know this is about Vermont but sadly we may miss it altogether. Help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Cindy
Cindy

irishes

Re: Bad Info

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:16 pm

I wish I would have found this website before I booked my trip. Will there be any foliage at all for us to see? Cindy
Cindy

Heather Forcier

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:54 pm

Maybe try the Champlain Valley (around Burlington) - I've noticed there's still a bit of green around locally with some trees changing.

Hopefully the wind and rain over the next few days doesn't take down the leaves prematurely!

Good luck with your trip!

irishes

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. We are renting a car and will be able to travel all over the state of Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts. I will definetly stay on this website for further updates.
Thanks
Cindy
Cindy

ixl

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:57 pm

Actually, things aren't quite as bleak as it may seem. I'm in the Bennington area and there is still quite a bit of color and green here. Some areas of MA and CT change quite a bit later than Vermont.

Bear in mind that a goodly percentage of the people posting here are in northern VT, which is several hundred miles from CT.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

irishes

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:31 pm

Thanks for the info. Hopefully things don't progress to quickly. I saw a message from someone in the berkhires that said the color wasn't much good this year. Said the leaves had some kind of problem. We will plan on just the southern part of Vermont and will travel down to Connecticut, hopefully a scenic drive.
Cindy

pwt54

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:11 pm

That site does seem to be a week late. One thing I noticed on my foliage check in southern Vt is that the oaks have red leaves in the early stage of their change over. This doesn't happen every year. Those oaks are just starting their change. Keep your fingers crossed.

scottymc1000

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:45 pm

I live in the northeastern part of Conn., the foliage is absolutely spectacular here now so maybe it will still be good in the southern part of the state when you visit.

rpk4398

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:00 am

As mentioned by many, this site is one of a kind. You get accurate and detailed info from those on the ground *without* *any* *hidden* *agendas*.(Well, except for their VT pride.)

I have learned the hard way by visiting other (state) sites or calling local chambers of commerce and visitor centers. They all have a vested interest: to draw in as many visitors as they can. Many will lie through their teeth to do so. One state worker confessed that she was *told* by her supervisor to do so.

rpk4398

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:12 am

I seconded the other poster's comment about Berkshires MA. Was there on 10/11, and the colors were not as vibrant as previous years. From Erving to Shelburne Falls, there were muted yellow orange but little red. At first I thought that I was early and told a local that I would return in a week or so. This *honest* person told me not to bother, saying that it had not been a good year there and won't get better.

I think the way I asked the question helped. First I told her that I don't live too far away and have been a repeat visitor, and therefore have a point of reference. Second, I happened to have a few foliage prints in my car. Showing those let her know what my *standards* are and that I am *serious* about shooting foliage. <g>

rpk4398

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:15 am

Mimi, would appreciate some routes in CT, especially with misty ponds, rippling streams or waterfalls. Thanks.

ixl

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:00 am

Originally posted by rpk4398:
I have learned the hard way by visiting other (state) sites or calling local chambers of commerce and visitor centers. They all have a vested interest: to draw in as many visitors as they can. Many will lie through their teeth to do so. One state worker confessed that she was *told* by her supervisor to do so.
This is definitely true. I got suckered into a pointless trip to the Catskills last year due to what I consider outright lies on a New York State foliage site. I'll never use those sites again.

I have this dream of some day starting a "foliage reporting service". I would travel all around the state from late September to late October and send daily reports and photos and recommendations to subscribers. But the wife isn't too keen on the idea. :)

c

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:03 am

Originally posted by daveandcindy:
Thanks for the info. Hopefully things don't progress to quickly. I saw a message from someone in the berkhires that said the color wasn't much good this year. Said the leaves had some kind of problem. We will plan on just the southern part of Vermont and will travel down to Connecticut, hopefully a scenic drive.
Cindy, I have to be honest with you in saying the color really isn't great. Even here in the Bennington area we lost a lot of leaves just last night when the latest cold front blew through. You're going to probably want to aim as far south and east as possible.

It can be very disappointing when the color doesn't cooperate -- has happened to me each of the last 3 years (last year was even worse than this one.) Best advice I can give you is to "make lemonade". There are lots and lots of things to do in New England aside from leaf-peeping... fine dining, antiquing, museums, cultural activities. This is especially true in the Berkshires.

Hope you have a good time with whatever you decide to do on your visit.

c

irishes

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:09 pm

C
thanks for getting back to me. Like you said I'll just have to make lemonade out of lemons.
The trip has been in place for several months so there's no turning back now.
C
Cindy

irishes

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:09 pm

C
thanks for getting back to me. Like you said I'll just have to make lemonade out of lemons.
The trip has been in place for several months so there's no turning back now.
C
Cindy