Best 'unexpected' VT moments

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Grateful for PWT's advise and his not spilling the beans when advising folks in a past forum that, "Smuggler's Notch is a MUST see" if nearby or in Stowe. Thanks to PWT for not spoiling such a thrill! To others, PWT's advise, "You must not miss Smuggler's Notch," holds true. We have and will return to Smuggler's Notch anytime we are nearby it. Why? Go and find out for yourselves!

Getting lost! on backroads in Vermont. We came upon a beautiful sight of several painters with their easels up painting along a stream. Farther down, there was a pasture of black and white cows. So inspiring, the sight brought tears to my eyes.

Learning like others when you least expect them, you may come upon a moose without searching, they come to you; you do not have to go to them. Drive with caution anywhere you see water or bogs. You never know what awaits you around a bend. As we rounded a curve, there was a huge moose drinking water in a stream. It walked right across the road in front of us.

Awe-struck with a visit to Hope Cemetery, just north of downtown Barre on Route 14. It is a beautiful sculpture garden! Has to be seen to comprehend why many leave awe-struck.
(Tour buses even go there!)

Enjoying lunch at the Simon Pearce Restaurant in Quechee. We were served in a dining room that extended OVER rushing water of the Ottauquechee River. Our table was next to a window just above the beautiful waterfalls; facing the beautiful covered bridge. A thrill that will last us a lifetime.

Finding the courage to first walk then drive over the Brookfield Floating bridge.

Driving the backroads again, just driving along to take in the beautiful fall foliage. We came across a beautiful home in a meadow by a pond. The property was surrounded in autumn hues; alone in the middle of nowhere. There was a huge bright yellow "snowplow" that looked like a humee parked and waiting for Vermont's first snow. It did not have tires, got around like an army tank. Never inquired what they are called but quite an unusal sight for a visitor to Vermont in October.

Rounding a curve at Lake Willoughby to a red wall. Mountainside was a beautiful red in late afternoon. The unexpected sight gave my heart a happy jolt!

Appreciated being stuck in a gridlock in Ludlow. As a result, we took a detour down a backroad unknown to us. We let our GPS be our guide. Was one of the most beautiful drives in Vermont.

wentworth

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:23 pm

We saw Lake Willoughby for the first time last year--approching it from the west, it was a beautful site indeed--with a crystal clear blue sky and an awesome glacier-created lake, we got a great picture-- Last Fall was so warm in Vermont, and me being a storm nut, I got an unexpected treat while in St. Johnsbury's Comfort Inn in late Sept--At night, we had a really wild lightning storm, first time we ever saw one in the mountains---- In 2003,, we saw a moose right by the road on Rt. 114, NW of Lyndonville-- In 2004, first week of Oct, it was so cold in Killington,25 degrees, that our car was frozen in ice that morning! but it was so different from Florida, that we loved it!!

pwt54

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 am

Now you know why I like the back roads and non-roads. Last year I drove the Mountain View Road from route 140 in Tinmouth Village. I thenturned right onto the Wrights Road. When you cross the Danby Town Line the road becomes the Old Otis Road. Nice views to the east. Near the end of the road there is an old cemetery on the left surrounded by big old maples. It may be a good photo-op. But I haven't been able to get there because of my Florida trips. Next year I'm make a day of that whole area.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:06 am

My unexpected Vermont moment is not a visual one as one might expect. One of my “moments” is about a family who operates a farm in Rochester, Vermont and who open their home to tourists. (I have mentioned Liberty Hill Farm in a previous post.)

We were sitting around the dinner table one warm evening last fall with all the guests with a bounty of food spread before us. We were holding hands about to say grace and the windows were open - warm October air swirling in filled with the delightful sounds and smells of autumn in Vermont - cows mooing, geese honking overhead, horses neighing in the fields below and the aroma of farmland. The quiet in the room was astounding. I looked up and was overwhelmed with the intense connection that was encompassing all of us, strangers together, sharing their love of the state in a setting beyond compare.

I get chills just thinking of this moment frozen in time, that I cherish forever.