My Vermont Trip

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

My Vermont Trip

Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:01 pm

I posted some photos in the October, 2006 Section of the foliage contributors forum.

I arrived in Burlington at about noon on October 7, and started my foliage photography excursion in Stowe. Finished up as the sun went down just south of Burlington on the 14th. My rental car receipt reports that I drove just over 1500 nmiles, covering from as far northwest as Highgate Springs and Northeast as Montomery, to White River Junction on the Southeast and Arlington on the Southwest. Brattleboro and Bennington will have to wait for another year. :) I also traveled nearly the whole length of 100 from Route 4 north, and many roads in between.

As has been reported here elsewhere, in many respects the foliage was a disappointment this year. The Maples (a primary reason to come to Vermont -- and responsible for the brilliant reds Vermont foliage is known for) had already had significant leaf drop, meaning not only that the reds were missing, but that there are a lot of "hazy looking" bare trees in all the photos.

My biggest disappointment was Waits River. The photograph I posted in late September, taken in 2005, shows the full foliage around the subject--but primarily green. I was really looking forward to having that in full color. Instead, there were many bare trees. It will have to wait until my next trip.

PWT and BM especially, thanks for the insights, directions, and "blow by blow" reports. I was able to photograph the village of Fairfax from up on McNall Road. The photo I saw in the book, however, was taken (I could see it when I drove into town) from the bridge to the south of town right on the main street.

Monkton Ridge area was spectacular. Great views from the main ridge road. Good drive on Hardscrabble. You cannot see the Church on Church street in S. Monkton, from up there, however (FYI).

All in all, an improvement over last year -- but I'll anxiously await another year with better foliage.

Thanks to Tim for his help and hosting this forum.

Best regards to all -- hopefully some will stay active on the photography forum.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .