Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Krishna
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22942Post Krishna
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:39 am

MrBumps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:01 pm
I was on I-89 between Richmond and Montpelier today and the colors are coming along nice on the hillsides through Bolton, Waterbury, Middlesex. Looks like they are still a few days from peak so I would think they will look great this weekend. Steady rain all day, but it wasn't really hard, and there was little wind.

Thank you for the update. You gave me some hope. I am planning to come this Thursday the only problem is that there is a prediction of rain. I think I should start singing " Rain Rain go away".😀


Krishna
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22943Post Krishna
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:43 am

loafer89 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Krishna wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:18 pm
Also which are the towns in valley location?
Bennington, Manchester, Rutland, Middlebury, Burlington. The Route 7 corridor.
I am sorry for my ignorance about Vermont geography.😬 But this is the exact information I was looking for. Thank you.

loafer89
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Enfield, Connecticut

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22944Post loafer89
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:47 am

Krishna wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am
loafer89 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:02 am
It looks like Stratton is past peak after the rain.
Thank you for the update. I think all mountains in VT will be past peak now right? Do you think if there will be at least one mountain with gondola ride will have some color left by Friday? Somebody suggested Mt. Tabor( don't remember if it was you or someone else).I don't there is gondola ride available for Mt. Tabor though.am planning to come on Thursday and stay for the night and drive around on Friday in search of peak foliage. Wish me luck!😀
Mt Tabor doesn't have a gondola. You might want to try Northern New Hampshire, Loon Mountain is still at peak foliage and I have heard that the foliage is really good in that region. No ideas if peak will hold until Saturday. Here is the webcam link:

https://youtu.be/zlwbkP1WGp8

loafer89
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Enfield, Connecticut

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22945Post loafer89
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Krishna wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:35 am
loafer89 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:12 pm
I'm heading up to Mt Greylock on Sunday if the weather is good. I'll post a report.
Please do post a report. I might go to the Mohawk trail myself on some weekday as it is only 2 hr drive here from Boston.
I'll post a report, but I probably won't be on Route 2 very much. Most likely I'll go I-90/Route 7 and cut back home on side roads.

Colorado Mom
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22947Post Colorado Mom
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:12 pm

I was trying to post a pic of the trees outside our room Stowe Mountain Lodge (Spruce Peak) but no luck. The colors that are here are bright unlike some we have seen so far. We are going up the gondola tomorrow so I will report back. These are some of the best colors we have seen in Vermont so far. Killington ski resort had great colors at the top as well a couple days ago


Krishna
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22948Post Krishna
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:25 pm

Colorado Mom wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:12 pm
I was trying to post a pic of the trees outside our room Stowe Mountain Lodge (Spruce Peak) but no luck. The colors that are here are bright unlike some we have seen so far. We are going up the gondola tomorrow so I will report back. These are some of the best colors we have seen in Vermont so far. Killington ski resort had great colors at the top as well a couple days ago
No worries that you can't post a pic. Your update is hope giving as well. Thank you so much.I will be eagerly waiting for your report about the Stowe Mountain.

Krishna
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22949Post Krishna
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:30 pm

loafer89 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:47 pm
Krishna wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:35 am
loafer89 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:12 pm
I'm heading up to Mt Greylock on Sunday if the weather is good. I'll post a report.
Please do post a report. I might go to the Mohawk trail myself on some weekday as it is only 2 hr drive here from Boston.
I'll post a report, but I probably won't be on Route 2 very much. Most likely I'll go I-90/Route 7 and cut back home on side roads.
No worries. I am still curious to know how the Berkshires region is looking.I will be eagerly looking forward for your report. In our Copley Square farmer's market we have a farm stand from the region and I asked them today how is it looking there and they said it's still not peak yet.

Krishna
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22950Post Krishna
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 pm

loafer89 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:47 am
Krishna wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am
loafer89 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:02 am
It looks like Stratton is past peak after the rain.
Thank you for the update. I think all mountains in VT will be past peak now right? Do you think if there will be at least one mountain with gondola ride will have some color left by Friday? Somebody suggested Mt. Tabor( don't remember if it was you or someone else).I don't there is gondola ride available for Mt. Tabor though.am planning to come on Thursday and stay for the night and drive around on Friday in search of peak foliage. Wish me luck!😀
Mt Tabor doesn't have a gondola. You might want to try Northern New Hampshire, Loon Mountain is still at peak foliage and I have heard that the foliage is really good in that region. No ideas if peak will hold until Saturday. Here is the webcam link:

https://youtu.be/zlwbkP1WGp8
Thank you for link for the live webcam. Loon mountain is a wonderful suggestion. Thank you.I might go there.

Colorado Mom
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22953Post Colorado Mom
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Stowe Gondola has great color but the farther you go up it seemed muted compared to past years.
We saw alot of great color today. Went on hog back road and down 12 to Montpelier. That's a great ride!
We were on 89 going to Tilton NH. The color was good and got better the farther we went into NH.

pwt54
Moderator
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:01 am
Location: johnson,vermont,usa

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22954Post pwt54
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:43 am

I was up in northwest VT yesterday. St. Albans, Georgia, and Milton foliage was still early. Heading east to Fairfield, Cambridge, Montgomery, and Hazen's Notch shows awesome colors. My home area of Johnson and Morrisville still show wonderful colors. It should still be good for this weekend. I don't see peak color in western CT along Lake Champlain for at least another week.

Krishna
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22955Post Krishna
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:46 am

Colorado Mom wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Stowe Gondola has great color but the farther you go up it seemed muted compared to past years.
We saw alot of great color today. Went on hog back road and down 12 to Montpelier. That's a great ride!
We were on 89 going to Tilton NH. The color was good and got better the farther we went into NH.
Thank you for the update. You gave me a lot of great information. Thank you.

Krishna
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22957Post Krishna
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm

pwt54 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:43 am
I was up in northwest VT yesterday. St. Albans, Georgia, and Milton foliage was still early. Heading east to Fairfield, Cambridge, Montgomery, and Hazen's Notch shows awesome colors. My home area of Johnson and Morrisville still show wonderful colors. It should still be good for this weekend. I don't see peak color in western CT along Lake Champlain for at least another week.
Great update! I guess we can still hope to see some color the third weekend. Thank you.

bogey456
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Southern NH

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22958Post bogey456
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Just finished driving the Kanc and it was great,the best I've ever seen it. The east side is better then the west side. If you do go make sure you drive Bear Notch rd.the colors at the pull offs are spectacular Just be prepared for bumper to bumper traffic this weejend.
Al
Al

Krishna
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22972Post Krishna
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi guys, I went to the Stowe today and took the Mt. Mansfield gondola ride. It was breathtakingly beautiful! As Colorado mom, said the colors appeared muted in some areas but nevertheless it was stunning. We went to the Smugglers Mitch as well.We all thoroughly enjoyed! Thank you so much guys for your updates and suggestions.

loafer89
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Enfield, Connecticut

Re: Where to go to see peak foliage the weekend of 10/12

Post: # 22977Post loafer89
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:18 pm

I didn't go to Mt Greylock, there is peak foliage in N. Connecticut right now, so not much of a need to go traveling for good color.


Post Reply