My Vermont "Bucket List" is Growing!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: My Vermont "Bucket List" is Growing!!!

Postby ctyanky » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Well I can't believe my luck! 8) I just got the last room at a lovely place in Brownington, #14 on my bucket list! Now I definitely will knock this one off for sure! No more excuses for neglecting my bucket list. I decided to frontload my fall foliage vacation to include the last weekend in September rather than add Columbus Day Weekend. I've been holding off for quite awhile, going back and forth as to my decision regarding heading up on the 27th of September or waiting until the first week in October. I'm totally excited to be staying in this quaint village and I'll be able to watch the sunset at Prospect Hill for three nights provided the weather cooperates. I'm looking forward to exploring the village, the museum and all the historic homes as well. During this time, I will hit the Burke Fall Foliage Festival on 9/28 and ride at DnD Stables on 9/29. I have a friend who owns a house in West Charleston, and of course, visit with Tim our board owner who lives in Morgan, just minutes away. :D

I'm near so many wonderful spots including Lake Willoughby, route 114, Shadow Lake, Lake Memphremagog (never been before!!!), Burke Mountain (taking the lift ride up the mountain ), Hill Farmstead Brewery and so much more! I intend to soak it all in for this first weekend and I couldn't be happier. I feel so relieved to have my four lodgings secured, and now I can concentrate on meeting my SOV friends and all the new folks I met in Vermont the last two years, and to spice up my daily itinerary to include as much fun and adventure as possible! :D :D :D

If there are any must do, must see places in the area please let me know! I'll be in this prime location for a few nights before heading to my Peacham stay on 9/30!

CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Mon May 06, 2019 7:04 am

Wow! This is going to be an interesting weekend in Brownington! My new VT friend who owns a house in nearby Charleston just asked if I wanted to kayak and/or canoe on the Clyde River if the weather is great. A new experience and I'm always game for anything that is adventurous and out of the norm for me! Of course, I confirmed that life preservers were part of the package so let's hope the weather Gods are in sync for one morning or afternoon. I know our board owner Tim regularly cruises the Clyde and I'm very excited to add this event to any already action packed weekend. I think I would rather try the canoe however..... :roll:

I can now concentrate on finding lots of activities for the following week when I am in beautiful Peacham! Love being busy 24/7! :mrgreen: CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Thu May 09, 2019 7:17 am

Oh geez! :shock: I just found another event on October 5th that I have to try to get to and it is actually part of my bucket list! If you scroll back you will see that Dog Mountain in St. J's has been on my list for quite awhile. Here is the info in case anyone is interested!

Fall Dog Party 2019
Dog Mountain
Saint Johnsbury, VT
Saturday, October 5th, 2019
Time: 12pm-4pm

It’s the most beautiful time of the year in New England, and it’s time once again to celebrate the season at Dog Mountain’s annual Fall Dog Party presented by Stephen Huneck Gallery and Friends of Dog Mountain! We hope you can take the time to grab your camera, hop in the car, and take the scenic ride to leaf-romping, four-legged fun and smiles at Dog Mountain. Your dogs will thank you with many wags of their tail and wet kisses.

The Fall Dog Party is free to the public and will be held rain or shine.

https://www.dogmt.com/

:D :D :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Mon May 20, 2019 3:13 pm

15. WESTON PRIORY, WESTON, VT

I recently saw a post on a Vermont based instagram about the Weston Priory and it jogged my memory of a past desire to visit there someday. I would love to take a “time out” from my usual whirlwind foliage itinerary and listen to the chants and tour the facility. I have heard nothing but rave reviews from everyone who has stopped by or who spent a retreat there. The website is so beautiful! It beckons one to come and see what it is all about. Has anyone been? I need to look at my schedule thus far and see if I'll be near Weston during this year's fall visit, or just come up for the day! CT

http://www.westonpriory.org/

Prayer schedule

http://www.westonpriory.org/schedule.html

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Fri May 31, 2019 9:56 am

16. NICHOLS LEDGE, WOODBURY, VT (hike)

Once again, I have been trying to hike Nichols Ledge for years and either the weather did not cooperate, I was not near the area during my fall excursion or my hiking partner could not make it! :x As I am in Peacham for a week this year, I am going to try my best to go. A few years ago, the Cabot Fall Foliage Festival led a hike to the ledge as part of their festival. I think this year, they are not physically sponsoring it but it is part of their "recommended tour". I hope to meet up with a hiking buddy to see what all the rave reviews are about! I found a past link of this foliage forum for the directions. I'm wondering what the reality of the hike is, moderate or moderate/difficult because there are different takes on it depending on your skill level. I'm participating this weekend in my state's trail weekend led by Connecticut Forest and Park Association to continue to get in shape! I reallllly want to do this hike as I heard the unobstructed views rival that of Owls Head in the Groton State Forest. I loved my two hikes at Owls Head, the views at the top were stellar! :D

Directions from previous post led by hike leader:

"The ledge is actually in the Town of Woodbury, very close to where the town lines of Cabot, Walden, Hardwick and Woodbury come together. To reach the ledges you must climb a rather steep and unforgiving trail, which is not to be attempted by timid, frail, or sedentary types. The beginning of the trail tends to be pretty wet, and you should wear sturdy, comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots, and it’s helpful to carry a walking stick. Once at the top, please be very careful because the drop is sheer and there are no railings or safeguards. DO NOT BRING CHILDREN HERE UNLESS YOU CAN KEEP A FIRM HAND ON THEM AT ALL TIMES, ESPECIALLY AT THE TOP NEAR THE LEDGES. The view from the top is well worth the trouble to get there. You’ll see breath-taking views to the south and west, and miles of unbroken forest.

To reach Nichol’s Ledge, take the South Walden Road at the north end of Main Street (Rt. 215) past the recreation field to Houston Hill Road on your left. Follow this road to Coit’s Pond Road, turn right for a little over a mile. You’ll see small Coit’s Pond on your left, and then you’ll come to a “wide spot in the road,” also on the left and directly opposite a “backwards driveway.” Park in the wide spot and you’ll see the trail heading down into the woods."

Please note: Nichols Ledge (amongst others) are closed until August 1, 2019 to protect nesting peregrine falcons, unless further updated by Vermont Fish & Wildlife. See recent press release below.

https://vtdigger.org/2019/05/13/cliff-t ... egrines-2/

Return to “Foliage Forum”