BRRRRRRRR! It's sure getting COLD here in New England!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:16 pm

mmvt: Glad you got to your destination safely! You were brave indeed to get on that plane! We are now having a snow/sleet/freezing rain storm and everything is coated in ice. They are predicting a possibility of another foot on Friday! What a winter! :shock:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:47 am

To coin a New England term - the word for today and tomorrow is "WICKED COLD". The coldest air in almost 20 years is hitting my area and Vermont forecasts for the NEK is almost 40 below! Yikes! Hope everyone in the northeast stays warm and cozy inside! A heat wave is coming Tuesday and should reach 20! :wink:

Still...... it is quite beautiful looking outside! :P

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 pm

IS IT SUMMER YET? SPRING WOULD BE NICE TOO! :shock:

Just had another 15" of snow last night. It's still January, and February tends to dump the most snow. And March storms? Let's not go there. How about a nice spring storm in April??? The piles are so high, I cannot see my neighbor next door if I am standing in my driveway! It's going to be a LONG winter here in New England indeed.

So long that, I will probably carry on a conversation with myself over the next few months on this thread. Winter does that to you, you know? :wink:

Repeat after me.

I love snow. I love winter. I love shoveling. I love living in the Northeast. Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow! :twisted:

autzig

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 pm

We haven't had a good snowfall here in Minnesota in 2011 but our winter's total is over 50 inches. We set a record in December with over 33 inches. Since I retired, I go cross country skiing about everyday. That is one activity that is aerobic AND fun. I've got my "at rest" heart beat down into the mid 60s. I'm enjoying this winter so much that it could last forever and I'd be happy. We haven't had a lot of really cold weather. I had 21 degrees below zero on my thermometer a little over a week ago. International Falls had a minus 46. I'll ski in any temperature above zero.

Don't rush away winter. Enjoy it.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 am

My dear friend Al: I am certainly "embracing" :wink: the season. I'm enjoying taking lots of pictures of the six foot mounds that encircle our homes and streets! Actually, I've been out every weekend enjoying the woods and backroads of the NW corner of CT. A winter wonderland and beautiful! Glad you are out and about enjoying it as well.

We have been hit hard here in the Northeast but these are the snowstorms that were the "norm" in my childhood years. We didn't think they were so extreme then! Just the way it was then in the winter. My Dad used to look up at the sky, sniff the air, and say, "I think it's going to snow. Maybe a big one." And that was the end of it. We had two shovels and moved on. I'm sure all the hype that accompanies winter lately is making us more insane. And another coastal storm looms for next week.

Oddly enough, my mind is playing tricks on me to keep me focused. Last night I woke to a most startling dream. My windows were open, the curtains were flowing into the room on a breeze, it was a warm summer day and I was in shorts! :shock: I looked out my back window at my open garage and my lawnmower was facing out! I was ready to cut the grass! This is no lie! So no Al, I'm not rushing winter. But my mind says otherwise. . . Go figure. . .

Anyone care to analyze??? :P :P :P

P.S. Have fun in Death Valley Al. And don't forget the sunscreen. Hope it is not too hot for you there. :twisted:

Utah Baker

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 am

It has indeed been a long cold winter for most of us this year. But the weather man has just promised us a "tease" of spring for Valentines Day. With a high sitting over us we are suppose to hit 50 for the holiday. I might even see the grass! It almost makes me giddy. But I am well aware that winter is far from over, being that March can bring our worst snow. Just so long as it doesn't do what we got last year a week before Memorial Day. Six inches of heavy wet snow that took many of the branches off of trees, what a mess. Hopefully this nice weather will go east! Happy Valentines Day! Janice

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Janice: nice to see you on the forum from time to time! Hope you had a very special Valentine's Day! It was in the mid 50's on V Day and the sun felt amazing! It's freezing now but the warmth is headed to CT for Thursday and Friday with near 60 on Friday! I think the snow piles will really start to compact and evaporate; at least there is no rain forecast which could cause flooding problems. Another possible storm is on the horizon for Tuesday! After all, it's still only February and as you mentioned, March is known for some blockbuster snow storms. February is usually our biggest dump month but so far it's been quiet! I think it's been a beautiful winter nonetheless. Today the sky was as blue as a summer's day in June. So what if the mounds are still 4-5 feet high! :P There's nothing like a true New England winter! Hope to see you on the forum more often. Thanks for posting!

Planning to get to Vermont for maple sugaring weekend the end of March and find some fun events with yummy pancake breakfasts!