BRRRRRRRR! It's sure getting COLD here in New England!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

BRRRRRRRR! It's sure getting COLD here in New England!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:16 pm

I think winter is here, permanently... Next week promises day time highs only in the 30's and the nights are in the 20's. I'm freezing. :shock: Time to break out the scarves, earmuffs, gloves, knee socks, and fleece, flannel and down everything! :lol:

So....... to embrace the season :roll: , I will be enjoying local horse drawn sleighrides and will be trying to snow shoe for the first time. I do love ice skating. Anyone ski? Other winter sports? Hope so because the flakes are going to be flying any day now! I read that northern VT will be getting snow this weekend!

I have a feeling this will be a long, cold and snowy winter! Have fun! (Except Phil of course who is now searching for more shells on the sandy beaches of Florida). :wink:

pwt54

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:51 am

We will be starting a deep freeze down here in Florida on Monday. Highs in the low 50s and high 40s and lows in the 20s. My Christmas lights are up and going along with 4 other folks here in the RV park. Ctyanky sent me an email with the title " 3 things for foliage season" and it had 4 things listed. This is normal. My email did enjoy the time off in November, but now it's back to work. :roll:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Phil: Hope it has warmed up for you! After all, you are in the sunshine state! It is still really freezing here and for early December, it feels like mid-January!

We are having our first light snowfall this evening and it is simply beautiful. Especially with all the holiday lights shining. It may not last, but I am loving it just the same. Need the snow for my very anticipated sleigh ride!

P.S. Phil, the fourth item for foliage season was supposed to be on the "maybe list". I want to go back to Lewis Pond. :wink:

pwt54

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:26 am

The temp got up to 69 degrees yesterday, so we did our first beach walk of this week. What really makes it tough is the wind down here. The mid 50s isn't bad until you get 20 mph winds. We are back in the deep freeze starting today and going to Friday.
If it's on the "List", there ain't no "maybe" to it. :D

autzig

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm

I have no sympathy for any of you. I woke up this morning to 13 degrees BELOW zero after getting 20 inches of snow this weekend.

:D :D

In Minnesota, we've learned to cope.

Enjoy your warmth, where ever you are.

pwt54

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:05 am

I'm just weaving these tales of woe to cheer up you poor frozen folks up north. :twisted: Last night we had the coldest temps since 1961. :shock: Tonight might be colder. The Bridge of Lions here between St. Augustine and Anastasia Island is closed due to ice, and the lawn sprinklers are creating icy patches on the streets. No snow yet, but maybe no oranges either. We still have some colorful foliage here. The trees appear to be a type of maple, but not one I have seen up north. They don't have the eye-popping color of our maples, but it's still nice to see them.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:59 am

My dear friend Al: I have no sympathy for you either. Perhaps Phil can find you a nice rental unit in his Florida resort for a few months? Why suffer in a Minnesota ice box? After all, rumor has it that you are about to retire in a few days.... :P

Oh by the way... In Minnesota you've "learned to cope"?

In New England, we deal.

Stay warm. :wink:

P.S. The huge storm expected this weekend fizzled once again, so my sleigh ride is on the back burner. I don't think Southern New England will have their White Christmas after all. :cry:

Utah Baker

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:06 pm

A Very Merry Christmas to everyone. I wanted to stop in and wish everyone the best of times with family and friends! Here in Utah we just recieved 9 iches of heavey wet snow, courtesyof the "Pineapple Express". Hoping if stays around long enough for us to enjoy a "White Christmas" Our temps have been on a roller coaster, it either doesn't get above freezing for days, and then suddenly it's "San Diego" for a week. But as for me I love the snow and the chance to bundle up! And again the very best to the nicest bunch of people i ever met" John 12:46

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Janice: nice to see you back on the forum. Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

We are expecting a "blockbuster" of a Nor'easter today and tomorrow in New England - it is already snowing steadily and the wind is biting. Hoping for a foot or more! I have four folks lined up for my sleighride and am very excited! It is being labeled a blizzard so we shall see!

The first major snowfall is always the best! :wink:

pwt54

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:50 am

I'm drinking my first coffee and watching the news. What's the BIG story? Obamacare, Russian spies, or Hugh Heffner's new wife? No! Snow flakes in Jacksonville. The first ones since 1989. Big deal. We got some snow flakes in St. Augustine and we are farther south. I won't offer you folks a happy new year until after the blizzard. :D I haven't seen a blizzard for two years.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:39 am

We are getting lots of beautiful, powdery snow here! Two days straight of snow. It has stuck to the trees all weekend and has created a magnificent winter wonderland! Gotta love it!!!!!! Another storm on the way mid-week but Vermont may miss this one. Almost enough snow in my area for my sleigh ride so keeping my fingers crossed! :wink:

pwt54

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:45 am

Almost makes me want to pick up my camera and drive up there and take some snowy photos. Almost. :roll: Yesterday we went to the Guana Reserve Beaches to do some beach combing. We bought a year's pass and are getting our money's worth. They have the best shells there. We stopped at the top of the walkway and saw a right whale and her calf heading south. They don't like that fluffy white snow any better than we do. Gotta get in shape for Ctyanky's Fantastic Foliage Fandango. :roll:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:26 pm

My mind is "briefly" off of the Foliage Fandango for the moment. :P

Awaiting the "big storm" for Southern New England where we are expecting to receive 1 1/2 feet of snow tonight and tomorrow. Boston and her shoreline being labeled "blizzard conditions" while the rest of us just getting the bomb. :wink:

The snowy winter continues............. Enjoy it! :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 am

Addendum: We already have 1 1/2 feet at 7 a.m. and are expecting 2 feet minimum! Thunder and lightning and some parts of CT have 3 feet! A wild storm! :shock:

Phil: Hope you are enjoying the beach today :!: :!: :!:

pwt54

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 am

It's been too cold and windy down here for beaching. It's so bad the weatherfolks are complaining. Had to scrape frost off my windshield yesterday. Mom did call me a big wuss for complaining. We did go on a "Big Quest on Wednesday". (check your email) The downtime has given me time to proccess photos and to mull over ideas for the "foliage Fandango". We may break the into the 60s tomorrow and stay there for a week. Of course that's what the weatherfolks promised last week. :roll: